Standoff ends deadly on Red Brush Road

Staff Report
This mobile home on Red Brush Road is the scene of a reported standoff Tuesday with local authorities. - Andy Winemiller | The News

An 11-hour standoff ended in a shooting death on Red Brush Road in Mount Airy Tuesday afternoon.

The N.C. State Bureau of Investigation reported that around 3 p.m. Tuesday Mikle Eugene Dixon was fatally shot after threatening a hostage with a knife.

According to an adjacent resident, officials from the Surry County Sheriff’s Office had an area of the 1100 block of Red Brush Road closed to traffic since about 4:15 a.m. Tuesday.

Junior Eldridge said when he returned home in the morning after working the night shift, he was unable to access his driveway. His wife and child also were unable to leave the residence.

Eldridge said sheriff’s deputies wearing body armor had surrounded a mobile home across the street from his house. An ambulance, a tactical vehicle and a fire truck were also at the location.

“There are sheriff’s cars all over the place,” Eldridge said on Tuesday. “Everybody is wearing bullet-proof vests.”

Eldridge said he is familiar with the mobile home at which the situation is unfolding, and he believes two elderly women live there.

According to a written response from the N.C. State Bureau of Investigation, 9-1-1 operators received a domestic disturbance call in the early-morning hours at 157 Edwards Drive off Red Brush road, west of the city.

After arrival, officers found that Mikle Eugene Dixon, 42, had taken two family members hostage. Dixon then barricaded himself inside the residence with the hostages for several hours. Members of the Surry County Sheriff’s Office Emergency Response Team attempted to negotiate with Dixon for several hours for the release of the hostages and his surrender.

When negotiations failed, the sheriff’s office requested assistance from the SBI’s Special Response Team around noon.

Just before 3 p.m., things took a turn for the worse.

A member of the sheriff’s office Emergency Response Team was attempting to talk Dixon down. Then the officer saw Dixon place a knife on one of the hostages.

Concerned that Dixon was about to assault the hostage, the state SRT agents made entry into the home. Dixon was shot and pronounced dead on the scene.

Both hostages were safely rescued, and no officer was injured in the incident.

“The SBI is conducting both an internal and criminal investigation,” the written response stated.

“The Surry County Sheriff’s Office was familiar with Dixon from past law enforcement calls to the home,” said the SBI.

According to the N.C Court System website, Dixon had a court date for Sept. 9 on charges of communicating a threat and damage to personal property.

According to the N.C. Department of Public Safety, Dixon has a lengthy list of past convictions, including several for drugs and drunk driving.

In October 2011 he was convicted of habitual driving under the influence and served two years in jail. In December 2016 he went to jail for four and a half months for another DWI charge, getting out March 23.

Dixon also has a history of violent behavior. He was convicted of assault on a female in September 2000. A month later he was convicted of assault with a deadly weapon and resisting an officer. He had three other convictions for resisting an officer in the late 1990s.

This mobile home on Red Brush Road is the scene of a reported standoff Tuesday with local authorities. mobile home on Red Brush Road is the scene of a reported standoff Tuesday with local authorities.
Andy Winemiller | The News

Staff Report