Hospice and Palliative CareCenter – Learn about the Living Will and Healthcare Power of Attorney Tuesday, July 25 at 1 p.m. at the King Senior Center located at 107 White Road/Community Bldg., Lower Level of the King Recreation Acres. Pre-register by calling at 336-768-6157 ext 1622. Bring photo ID – family members are encouraged to attend.
Stokes Arts Council – July 17-21 Visual Arts, instructor Amanda Gordon (ages 6-12) explore different genres of visual arts, including painting and paper sculptures using images from around the world. Drama instructor Brack Llewellyn, Beginning Drama (ages 6-10) will focus on theatre basics and games, including a week ending performance of “Fractured Fables.” Camps are at Mount Olive Elementary School, 2145 Chestnut Grove Rd. in King 9am to 1pm daily with a cost of $85 per student. Early registration for each camp is highly encouraged by calling the Stokes County Arts Council at 336 593-8159. Additional information can be found at www.StokesArts.org.
Habitat For Humanity Restore of Stokes County, 336-985-3211 Is located at 115-117 East Dalton Road in King and is open Thursday and Friday, 11 am- 5 pm and Saturday 10 am – 5 pm.
Trinity United Methodist Church will hold their Vacation Bible School July 9 – 12 – “Maker Fun Factory”. The children will build, explore, and discover that they are lovingly crafted by God. Bible School each night will begin with a supper at 5:30. The program will begin at 6:00. All children ages 3 – 5th grade are invited to attend. Trinity United Methodist Church, 725 W. Dalton Road in King.
If anyone has recipes you would like to share, please send them to me at Carillon Assisted Living, 250 Commerce Centre Drive, Huntersville, NC 28078.
Creamsicle Poke Cake
1 hour to prepare serves 12-16
· 1 (15.25 oz.) box white cake mix
· 3 eggs
· 1/2 cup oil
· 1 cup water · 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
· 1 (3 oz.) package orange jello · 1 cup boiling water
· 1/2 cup cold water
· 1 (8 oz.) package frozen whipped topping, thawed
· 1 (3.4 oz.) instant vanilla pudding mix
· 1 cup milk
· 1 (11 oz.) can mandarin oranges, drained, garnish
PREPARATION 1. Preheat oven to 350º F or according to cake packaging directions and lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with butter or non-stick spray.
2. Place cake mix in a large bowl and mix in eggs, oil, water and vanilla extract until smooth.
3. Pour into greased baking dish and bake according to package instructions.
4. Remove from oven and let cool 15 minutes, then pierce holes all over cake with a fork.
5. Place Jello mix in a large bowl and whisk in boiling water, stirring until Jello is fully dissolved. At that point, stir in cold water.
6. Pour Jello over the top of cake, so that it fills in the holes you’ve just made, then cover and refrigerate cake for at least 2 hours.
7. Place pudding mix in a separate large bowl and whisk in milk, stirring until mixture has thickened, then fold in frozen whipped topping until fully incorporated.
8. Spread mixture over chilled cake in an even layer and top with drained mandarin oranges.
9. Slice, serve and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Spend With Pennies
Peggy Hall Wall has been covering the King Community for many years and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 336-813-6231.